Monday, April 16, 2012

Hebrews 12: 1-2 Endure the Race


Hebrews 12: 1-2

Waylon's Tattoo


Our last family photo,
Fall 2009



Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.


My opinion on tattoos has changed drastically over the years.  I never really appreciated them earlier in life.  Actually, I was repulsed by them.  I didn't understand why people wanted to mark their bodies up.  Ink stays on for life.  Over time, and with teenagers, I think I grew more tolerant of them.  Secretly, I even liked some.  Not on  my body though, never. 

Then, I came across this verse, which is my favorite verse, Hebrews 12: 1-2  Endure the Race.  My son, Waylon, loved the verse also.  He loved it so much, he wanted it tattooed on his body.  I didn't think he would actually ever get the tattoo though.  He would often say, "Hey mom, we should go get one together." or "Hey Mom, we can go together and get the same tattoo, at the same time, wouldn't that be cool?"  Oh sure Waylon, real cool. What was he thinking?  The real question was, What was I thinking?  My son wants to go get a tattoo with his mom, a bible verse mind you,  and I don't go!  Of course, I was asking myself, "Who me! Are you kidding.  With dirty needles and rock-star dazed people smoking dope?" Wouldn't catch me in there!  No way! 
Eventually, Waylon went to get his tattoo.  Without me.  He went with his big sister, Brittany.  His Best Friend Justin, but no mom.  They all three got tattoos.  They made memories, laughed, shared stories, maybe cried from the needles.  I don't know, because I wasn't there, even after Waylon asked me to go. 
Waylon came home with the most beautiful tattoo I had ever seen.  It was on his left side, closest to his heart.  Beautifully created.  I loved it.  I wanted it. I wanted that same one.  Why didn't I go with him.  Waylon being the nice kid that he was, said he would go with me anytime to get my tattoo.  Of course he would.  Would have held my hand too if I had asked.  But, I never went.  And now, this is one thing I will never get to do with my son Waylon.  Ever.  Oh, I still want my tattoo.  And I will get it someday.  My younger son Wyatt went and got a tattoo in his big brothers memory.  Did I go you ask?  I wouldn't have missed it.  Do you think I would have missed that?  Rex and I both took him.  But, back to Waylon and his tattoo.  I wanted you to read on......you see this is also the tattoo that was untouched on his body, 
 after "the accident". 

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to Waylon! I hope sharing your stories will comfort you and help you find peace.

    Donna Milligan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna. This has been a "weird day". Lots of emotions going through my mind. Early on I had ideas of a book. This just seems so much easier. But, I plan on writing the good and the not so good. I pray God will help me and lead me through this, as I share and open up. And I pray it will help others out there with similar situations. Endure the Race!

      Delete
  2. Cindy, This is very touching. Everyone that was privileged enough to know Waylon knew that he was a wonderful young man. I was proud to call him my nephew. Marcella

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's almost been 11 years. I still think about Waylon often. We went to high school together but never spoke. Then when he started working at McDonald's I had the pleasure of getting to know him. He was the nicest guy, super funny and smart but most of all, he was kind. I will always cherish the memories I have from that time. He will never be forgotten ♥

    ReplyDelete