Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Psalm 77: 3-4






Waylon and Leyton 2010



Psalm 77: 3-4

3 I remembered you, O God, and I
groaned;
I mused, and my spirit grew faint.

4 You kept my eyes from closing;
I was too troubled to speak.


When I started looking back over the months, "pre-accident", I was looking  for all the positive signs I could find, that Waylon was happy.  That he was content, and that life was coming together for him.  He had often talked of his  future plans, and the  places he wanted to go.  Possible internships.  Still, I think it was very important for me, and I think for Rex too, to not only know this piece of information but to have felt it, or witnessed it.      

Rex and I had been to Waylon's indoor meet in February of 2010.  I believe this was the meet that he wasn't feeling well and we had tried to give him some cold medicine, only to make matters worse.  He could barely catch his breath by the time he finished his race.  The ending was not good.  We felt horrible.  I could feel Waylon's frustration and despair.  I knew how hard he had  worked and trained.  I also knew how badly he wanted to succeed.  To achieve and accomplish that PR. 
We visited with Waylon and as always, we were so glad to have some time with him, and always sorry to have to leave. 

 I remember telling him to take his vitamins and get some Vitamin- C.  (Was he eating right?  Was he getting enough rest?)  It was always on those days, that as a mother, the worry began.

The end of February, 2010, Wyatt and I traveled to Joplin to watch Waylon run at another indoor track event.  Waylon was feeling much better that day.  His cold long gone.  I remember feeling so relieved.  I had been worrying so much about him.  He was happy and excited to see us, and we were able to spend some time with him before his run.  Wyatt was telling him the latest news from home, and I was just enjoying the moment with my boys.  Happy to see them laughing and sharing stories.




We found some bleachers near the holding area when they called for Waylon's run.  I took some photo's.   (Waylon seemed to enjoy the camera that day.)  He looked over at us and did some funny moves and stances.  Then he held up his hands in the shape of a "W".  Win for Waylon.  "W -his trade-mark sign."

Soon the race started, I thought he looked great.  Fit.  He started off  fast and strong, the start of a great race.  I forget the distance of this race,  but about half way into it, I noticed he was falling back, and he also looked like he was in pain.  I remember feeling so helpless.  Wyatt and I both just stood by and watched as Waylon struggled through the race.  I wanted to cry.

We found him after the race.  I could tell instantly that he was mad, upset, defeated.  He was sitting down and there was a trainer with him.  They were examining his foot.  What now, I remember thinking.  Hadn't he had enough set-backs and little injuries.  Why did there always have to be something?  He tried so hard, all the time. 
I got over to them and looked down at his foot.  I can recall being "pissed" when I saw his foot.  I'm a nurse, and I've seen blisters and open sores, but this, on a runners foot.  I looked at the trainer , furious, and said something about it being wrapped during the run, I was so mad, I  didn't even hear his response.  I tried to console my son, tell him how proud we were of him and how good he was doing.  He had other races coming up.  Just rest your foot and let it heal and you'll be ready for the next one.  We spent a little more time with him before we had to head home.  I felt brokenhearted, and always wished I could do more for him. 

Around the end of March, Waylon was home for a short visit.   Life seemed to be looking up again.  He was happy and his foot had healed up.  He was back to his old self.   For those who didn't know him, Waylon's natural character was generally entertaining.   He liked to joke around, laugh and have fun.  To see him any other way was concerning.
 I recall during this visit that he was able to go and spend some time with his older sister and his niece and nephew.  Wyatt was able to be there also, so they played outside and did re-enactments  of Star-Wars.  Waylon teaching them to fight like a Jedi.  (This would be the last time Leyton and Makenzy would see their uncle Waylon.)

March 27th, 2010, Waylon was running in Columbia, MO.  So close to home.  We were so excited to see him.  His friend Justin and Aunt Marcella were also able to be there.  Waylon was looking and feeling great! It seemed like the last few months of trials were behind him.  He had that laugh of his goin on, and life was good! 

He had a good run!

March 28, 2010, we had a family get together, at grandma and grandpa's house.  The last time we would all be together with Waylon.  The grand kids always liked to come and challenge each other in a game of cards.  So, this time was no exception. It was  Waylon and grandpa against the world!  They played and enjoyed a night of family fellowship.  Waylon was laughing and had a blast being partners with grandpa.  

 Later, when everyone was wrapping up and getting ready to leave, Waylon said, "I've had
more fun than I've had in a long time."
Grandpa added, to Waylon, "Be careful going home, (to Maryville)."
And Waylon replied, "If something happens and I don't make it

there, I'll still be going home."

That was in March.


I know on May 5th, 2010, that Waylon was happy.  I had seen and felt the pure joy and excitement he had for life!   It seemed he had finally come full circle with several obstacles, some personal struggles and he had landed on
TOP! 



3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I was able to see Waylon run!! The time we all went to KS to watch his cross country run & cheer him on & then when he went to CoMo & we chanted his name as he ran by the stands!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last run we saw him in, Columbia MO. It was a good day.

      Delete