Monday, April 23, 2012

Sweetly Broken, Last night home.


Last Night Home....
Sweetly Broken






To the cross I look
To the cross I cling
Of it's suffering I do drink
Of it's work I do sing

On it my savior
Both bruised and crushed
Showed that God is love
And God is just

At the cross, You beckon me
You draw me gently to my knees, and I am
Lost for words, so lost in love,
I'm sweetly broken, wholly surrendered

What a priceless gift
Undeserved life
Have I been given
Through Christ crucified

You've called me out of death
You've called me into life
And I was under Your wrath
Now through the cross I'm reconciled

In awe of the cross I must confess
How wondrous Your redeeming love and
How great is Your faithfulness

At the cross You beckon me
You draw me gently to my knees, and I am
Lost for words, so lost in love
I'm sweetly broken, wholly surrendered


May 6th, 2010. 

Rozalyn and Dad come in the house.  You had been outside showing your little sister how to "run".  You were showing her how to mid-foot strike to toe, instead of heel strike to toe.  You were laughing and caring on with her.  There was a special bond building between you two.  Both just as proud of the other and happy to have some time together.  A bond that should have been allowed to continue...to grow.....

You and Rozalyn measured to see who was taller.  She was 12 and you were 19.  "She's catching you," I remember saying.  This made you laugh and even tease her more.  I remember seeing pride written all over your face.  You asked, "what are you feeding her?"  and "how tall are you going to get?".  I think you even called her something like an "amazon girl"...always just teasing.....the love was there....Waylon always showed love and respect for his "family".

You then went over to the foyer and showed us how you could go from squatting position to a hand-stand.  I was impressed. That takes strength, focus and lots of muscle.  It was cool.
I wish now I would have taken pictures...
but who would have known...
I would never get the chance to ask you to do that again..

Later, that evening, you wanted to go to a friend's house.  This we were used to also.  When you came home, you had so many people to see and so many places to go and so little time.  So little time to squeeze it all in...

  We wanted you to stay home with us.  But, we knew you liked to see "everyone", and you were going to be home all weekend, right?  I was tired, still had another day.  Dad had taken off to be with you and was ready to get some rest to be prepared for that big Turkey hunt.  Somewhere around 8:30 p.m. we got a call from a friend of Wyatt's.  Calling needing some help, just down the road.  He was stuck in a gravel bar near our house.  Wyatt had come home, you all had been telling your stories to each other, laughing, caring on like always.  So you, Wyatt and Dad piled into the "old green Dodge" and headed down the road to help. 

When you got home, I remember wanting you to, just stay home.  But, your dad and I didn't push the issue.  We had come accustomed to how you would run off to places at odd hours of the night to see your friends.  We thought it was strange sometimes, but, like I said, we were used to it by now.  So, this was nothing new for us.  And sleep was something that you just worked into your schedule when you came home.
As time allowed.

So, we let you go, not questioning the logic but advising you not to be out to late, so you and Dad could chase turkey in the morning.  Dad had been looking forward to this day for some time.....
To hunt with his son.

I remembered, you must have seen a look of concern on my face, because you said, "Don't worry mom, I'm coming back home tonight." 

And you were gone...

I can still see you...

looking back at me
smiling.
Assuring me..
all was good.



Sweetly Broken
Jeremy Riddle





No comments:

Post a Comment