Friday, May 18, 2012

Waylon Martensen Memorial Scholarship



May 14th, 2012

California High School Awards Night



2nd Annual Waylon Martensen Memorial Scholarship
$1000.00
Awarded to

Nathan Thibon

(Pictured above:  Rachel, Wyatt, Cindy, Nathan Thibon, Rozalyn and Rex Martensen, absent Brittany Martensen Schlup)


Waylon, I think you would be very proud of the choices we have made....

I would have never realized how difficult it would be to select a recipient for a scholarship...I have sat through many award nights...and it never occurred to me the feelings or emotions that were behind some of those selection processes.....For us, meaning the family as a whole, because we all have input....it was very difficult this year. 

Wyatt is graduating this year from high school, not only did he have to help select a recipient who exemplifies the character of his own brother, he was choosing from his fellow classmates, classmates that he had "grown-up" with...his friends.....I know this was difficult for him.


This scholarship is a tribute to Waylon.  For us, it is bittersweet.....
We want to help, to give back, to a student who is embarking on a new journey of their life, just as Waylon was doing...

A student who loves his family and friends, serves and loves God, and loves to run.....

Nathan, by reading your resume, we felt very comfortable in knowing that you demonstrated fully the characteristics we were looking for to honor Waylon. 

I also felt your compassion for the elderly, with your grandparent, and your genuine concern for assisting future generations in the care of the elderly.  This touches me.  Not many youth today look at our elderly population and want to help...not many understand their needs

I know Waylon had a compassionate heart.  He loved his grandparents....and he would have helped with anything they needed..


Nathan, as you start your new journey, I pray you go forth with enthusiasm and confidence, and always, continue to  Endure the Race.


Waylon, Nathan turned to me after the above photo was taken and said,

"I didn't have the opportunity to know Waylon personally and run with him, and wish I could have..."





May 2011
1st Annual Waylon Martensen Memorial Scholarship
Awarded to

Lesa Langlotz



No comments:

Post a Comment