Tuesday, May 1, 2012

2 Timothy 4:6-8 "The Accident".



I have fought the good fight
I have finished the Race
I have kept the faith.

Waylon

2 Timothy 4:6-8

6 For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure.  7   I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  8  Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous  Judge, will award to me on that day--and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.


May 6th, 2010  "The Accident"


The "accident" report would tell us the crash was at 10:57 PM.  A 1993 Red Mitsubishi, speeding, ran off the right side of the road and over corrected and ran off the left side of the road.  The vehicle went airborne, over a private drive, then struck the ground and overturned.  Passenger #1 ejected.  The vehicle then overturned one full revolution and struck a tree, before coming to rest on top of the tree, on it's wheels.  As the vehicle overturned, passenger #2 was ejected out the front passenger window and was thrown north of the vehicle.


Passenger #2 sustained fatal injuries in this crash.  He was transported to the University of Missouri Medical Center in Columbia, MO, by Staff for Life Helicopter.  Passenger #2 was pronounced dead on May 7th, 2010, at 03:58 hours by university physician. 


I will not be able to tell you how many times I have read that report.  How many times I woke up from my restless sleep those first months, to go into the "empty bedroom", that we now call "Waylon's" room.  I won't be able to tell you how many times I tried to change the outcome of "that" report.  How many times I closed my eyes, tried to go back to whatever period of time I could cross into, to change just one minute in time, that would alter life, and produce a different outcome.


I tried and tried, month after month.  I waited, patiently.  I begged and pleaded.  I went to God humbly.  Please.  Every day I awoke, I was one day further away.  One day further away from that moment in time, that I was trying so desperately to change.  It was some time after the first year that we lost Waylon, I realized I was never going to be able to change the outcome of those last moments.  No matter how hard I tried.  No matter how hard I sobbed.  No matter how hard I begged and pleaded.  It was never going to happen.


May 6, 2010
I saw the cell phone light flashing, looked at the clock, 11:19 PM, Dad says it was 11:20 PM, and I start what most mothers probably do at that hour, a head count....Rachel, Jefferson City, MO, Makenzy and Leyton, with their dad, Roz, home, Brittany, Columbia, MO.  Wyatt......where's Wyatt......I really had to think-he is 16, always out doing something, but oddly, he's home.  Ok, Waylon, what time is it, 11:19,  where did he say he was going?  I mean, he had just come home, made that long tortuous drive home, alone, from Maryville.  So, what could be going on, assuming it was even you on the phone?  I remember getting frustrated, watching your dad on the phone, I want to know and hear that conversation also.  I sit there waiting to know what is going on.  It seems like a really long wait.......and I waited......
I felt strange, I knew somehow, this was not good.  I can still remember the breath I was taking...when your dad says, "car accident"...... "Waylon"........


Time slows way down....

I follow your dad into the kitchen, he still has not answered me.   He sits at the counter, starts writing down something, he had to make a phone call......I still didn't know who he was talking to......

Would somebody please tell me, what the ---- is going on?
He said a name, of a friend, that called and gave him information that now he was trying to confirm........I'm frustrated, I hear "car accident,"  the name of our friend,  It was really hard to process information, my brain froze, I think I was still breathing-I could feel my heart in my chest, It hurt....I kept watching Rex, I know now, something is not right.  You just get that feeling, it washes over you and you know.  But who, the thoughts are racing now through my mind, faster and faster.  At some point it slows, almost stopped-    "Waylon", what do you mean, "Waylon"?  I said...Where is he?  What Happened?  Was he driving?  Seat belt, of course he had his seat belt on, he Always has it on....I hear not good...What's not good......Waylon was with a friend...I think I am still coherent  and   breathing...I hear the word, "helicopter,"......for who?  Another friend was there at the site.....Who???  At the scene....what scene...?  CPR.........23 minutes..........

Helicopter....Waylon......What did you say?  Just a minute....I can't understand what's going on......STOP.....look at me Rex.....Your dad just looks at me, and tells me to go "get some clothes on".  I'm looking for my phone...if he wont tell me, I'll call myself.....I find my phone, call our friend, no answer......OMG.....I can't breathe....my chest hurts....my ears are ringing  and my hands are going numb......My phone rings, I answer.....all I can really remember...is our friend saying, "I'm not the one who is supposed to be making this phone call, but I thought you needed to know, so you could...........What does he mean, Waylon, whose  place to call me, for what?  I'm sorry, It gets really blurry here, clouded, you would think I would remember every little detail....my mind and body are only somewhat functioning now.

Your dad tells me again to get some clothes on, he called someone, I hear "sheriff"  "911"   "Waylon"  "no pulse"  "23 minutes", "Columbia"  "helicopter"  "CPR in the field".....

We get dressed, Dad, Roz, Wyatt and myself.  
We get into the van, it's quiet.
We head to Columbia.

Somehow, I just know, I can feel it...
life is never going,
to be the same again.









No comments:

Post a Comment